Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Why Eating Right Matters

So this story just came to my attention. There was a teenager who has gone blind. No injuries. The cause was a very poor diet of eating just as the articles say, Pringles, french fries, white bread, and pork. It made me think a little bit about what I eat and how grateful I am for at least trying to not eat a lot of junk.

I'm not thin, but I'm not this obese person, either. I tend to eat cereal most of the time. I eat ham and cheese sandwiches, peanut butter sandwiches, chicken, steak, pork chops, potatoes, fish, pizza, macaroni and cheese, hamburger, hot dogs. I'll do eggs, toast, and waffles every once in a blue moon, though I do want to get back into having eggs, or do omelets. Snack stuff consists either of granola bars, ice cream, or fiber bars. Some chips, but very rarely. I'm not huge on vegetables, but I'll eat some. My drink of choice is milk with cola and water as other options.

You could say I'm a little fussy and picky, but not to the level of this kid. Only eating four things just about every day is not healthy. I read on a Reddit once of someone only eating chicken nuggets and fries only. Not sure how true that is, but that is about as unhealthy as this story. The amount of fat, sodium, and even cholesterol is staggering. Not to mention the lack of specific vitamins and minerals.

As much as I want to feel bad, the blindness of the kid is on him and his family. This was something that they noticed a few years ago and didn't fix the problem until it was too late to fix it. It should be a warning to people. Try to at least make a good diet and variety of foods instead of a limited number that is basically junk. Do that and you will feel a little happy for doing the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2