Monday, September 9, 2019

Sega Dreamcast at 20: 9/9/99

When I think Sega, I think back to when I was a toddler, playing a number of Genesis games up until I was seven in 1999. I only played a Saturn once a year prior and never played the Game Gear that my older brother had until the end of the 2000s. One system I have yet to play turned 20 and as the title of the blog mentions, it is the Dreamcast.

September 9th, 1999 may not seem much, but it was for Sega. After the failure of the Saturn and 32x, they rebooted and went full force for a good year until the PlayStation 2 came out. When 2001 started, they announced their departure from doing hardware. After it's final titles in 2002, it amassed about 250 games. The launch price was cheap at 200 dollars and had four player capabilities from the get go, similar to the Nintendo 64. A big deal was the online. Even though the Saturn had it, this had more games using it and felt revolutionary.

Some of the design is very similar to Xbox, which Microsoft actually helped Sega on making the Dreamcast. The controller is similar in certain ways. Obviously, online was powered by Windows. That's just the tidbits to what people consider one of the greatest or most underrated systems ever. It has that appeal for everyone. You have a variety of genres to pick and it was one of the last systems that had an arcade appeal to it. Tons of ports such as Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, and the numerous Capcom fighting games made a loved one for fans of the arcade. There were a lot of things the Dreamcast did right in the last hurrah for Sega.

It's one of the few systems I would love to get, but I do have my concerns with how much longer it could last because of the laser and some of the early games having issues running on it. I always have a soft spot for Sega, but hey. The love the company has gotten lately, fans will never forget the swan song.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2