Thursday, January 3, 2019

YouTube Channels I Watch: The Nostalgia Mall

I've been watching YouTube for well over a decade. There have been channels during the time I have subscribed to and have or had grown interest in. One of these is the channel of The Nostalgia Mall, formerly known as Roadgeek. Creator Billy Coore's main focuses are on vintage computers and malls.

I can't pinpoint when I first started watching some of Coore's videos, but they were at least around the early part of this decade. One thing he has always had a love for other than the 90s and a mall that was near his home in Greensboro, North Carolina, is Packard Bell. I think it resonated with me a little bit. When I was a kid way back in 1995-96, the first computer I had (my family, more specifically) was a Packard Bell computer that ran Windows 95. It was our main computer up until 1999. Despite only being a few years younger than Coore, it felt nice to watch videos of some of those Packard Bell videos.

Two videos I'm glad to see that channel upload were the Kidstory games of Milly Fitzwilly's Mousecatcher, and The Pirate Who Wouldn't Wash. It's strange considering no one has done those other than The Nostalgia Mall. A lot of the videos are mostly computer related, a lot of it from between Windows 3.1 and XP with some modern ones. Christmas videos are a plenty with computer games, catalog videos, and a few other knick knacks. Some of his biggest videos include trying AOL in 2015, browsing the Internet via Windows 95 and talking Windows Millennium Edition without trying to bash it as much.

If I had to put a knock on Coore, it's that he is not everybody's cup of tea. Playing devil's advocate for a brief second, a number of the videos will follow a similar format all together. How much patience you have with length is another thing because they go for 20 minutes or longer typically. But here's this. The Nostalgia Mall fills in a niche of talking computers. It may not be Lazy Game Reviews quality, but there is always a bit of love for Packard Bell material. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2