Thursday, November 7, 2019

What is Pass Interference?

Can somebody answer this question? Because I doubt you can. I can't, either.

If baseball has an umpire issue, so does football with their refs. Unlike most professional sports in the States, there are only 16 games. When a bad call occurs on a losing team, most of the time, it's a critical one. This is how teams make or miss the playoffs. Either what is an obvious penalty is missed or one little tap results in a thrown flag. There is no consistency and the rules are not clear. We have seen too many games get determined by the refs and it's only a matter of time.

Obviously, this is the result of what happened in January between the Rams and Saints. Replay has been around for 20 years. Challenges around that time. Many rule changes. And yet, the refs find ways to screw up. I don't buy into Troy Vincent's argument that they are held accountable. I don't think that's true. If it was, guys like Jerome Bogar would not call a game ever again. The fans get a clear view of it on TV. Mistakes are admitted, but not all of them.

I'm going to end with a story I read. There is speculation that North Carolina may lower the number of games played in high school football because of refs. They are afraid of getting visceral hate. With older ones retiring, it's dwindling down. I've mostly learned my lesson on that kind of stuff, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to criticize officiating. The South loves their sports a lot more than most. I honestly expect robots in professional leagues at some point. The human element is not a valuable excuse like it was back before the Internet existed. Either find a way to fix issues or start punishing the bad umps and refs. That one call can be like what happened back in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2