Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Electronic Bandage

I didn't know these things existed. Did you? Because it adds another layer to the whole scandal involving the Houston Astros.

I'm not sure if it's sufficient evidence compared to hearing garbage cans, but several sites have discussed this in the last day. From what was said from at least MLB executives, batters would have on electronic bandages. If so, it hides any noise. A way to steal signs and a way to signal what pitch was coming. I'd guess one buzz meant a fastball and two would mean an off speed pitch. I can't imagine what else will be unearthed.

As a fan of the sport, this is a huge disgrace for baseball. With how toxic the organization is, some are calling for life bans. I can see owner Jim Crane and GM Jeff Luhnow getting those. Maybe manager AJ Hinch depending on how much he knew. I may have been a little lenient on my suspension ideas last week. What do you do with Alex Cora and Carlos Beltran? That I can't answer because I have none. But I could see Cora getting banned, but not necessarily for life (don't rule it out). Maybe suspend players that knew fully what they were getting into for maybe half a season? But commissioner Rob Manfred will have to come up with something soon. Spring training is three months away and it would be better if he got the punishment out of the way.

For what it stands, it happened. Things got way uglier at the moment. The Astros will not live it down for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2