Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Redesigning Hedgehogs

I wish I could have been reviewing this movie. But alas, it won't be until Valentine's Day. In regards to the live action Sonic the Hedgehog, I didn't view the original design as being that bad. My only complaint would have been a little bit of the face. Backlash is common on stuff and the need to fix the blue blur was a priority when the design was criticized back in the spring.

With the re-do, it is closer to the games. More specifically, I see more of the Genesis versions of him. More so in my opinion, 3D Blast. There is a more cartoon look to him and it's very obvious that the effort was put into cleaning up the image. How close you are to the games is vital. Whether the film will have versions of Tails and a couple other characters, I don't know. But it is the first big Jim Carrey movie in a few years. Robotnik is tough to even consider for a casting, but the wacky nature does feel in tone with the actor's roles from Ace Ventura all the way to Bruce Almighty.

Even with the redesign, I still would have given the film a chance to see in theaters. The last few video game movies have not been panned and put up good numbers. Maybe studios have learned to understand fans? We'll have to see on Valentine's Day, but Sonic should put up okay numbers. At least better than what Super Mario Bros. did back in the summer of 1993.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2