Monday, November 4, 2019

Going Against Loved Stuff

Like everyone, I have stuff I don't like, but others do. Most of the time, people act like I committed the worst crime if I don't like what they like.

Cartoons is a great example. I hate Animaniacs, and it bothered a handful of people and a couple berating me for having bad taste. Even when I explained my reason (obnoxious characters, tried way too hard to be funny), it was for naught. I prefer other Spielberg cartoons over it. Frankly, I didn't watch kids networks (TV in general ) until 1996/97 and even then, I watched other channels like TBS. I think cartoons get many offended if you don't love them the same way others do. I think part of it is nostalgia and being big fans of said programs. But they are the ones that suffer from age most of the time and don't hold up.

Movies is a bit different. For a lot of the really loved ones, I can see why. Part of it is the high bar that is set for movies like The Godfather Part II, and E.T. The Extra Terrestrial. I watch those and I feel underwhelmed. I can find enjoyment and say they are good, but that good? I don't think so. Definitely watchable, though. One I watched recently was the first Gremlins. I like the Gremlin design and set up. It had funny moments, but I didn't find it that scary. Not that good, but still pretty good.

Video games fall in the same thing as movies, but way worse. There is a very high bar set and if I don't agree, regardless of if I love the game or not, it would hypothetically bother many. My big example is The Legend of Zelda for the original NES. A lot of people view it as a masterpiece. I don't see it as being more than just a good game. I think nostalgia is heavily involved as it has its share of flaws like the grinding and the health system as get a bigger life meter. You can't ignore small things that hurt a game, regardless of age.

I don't try to be different for the sake of being different. Just understand that the opposite opinion can occur unless someone is being different on purpose or trying to hate something on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2