Saturday, October 19, 2019

Game Emulation Stories: Volume 2

Since the first one is the biggest blog of the bunch, it's been very long enough to do a second volume of stories. I'll have at least a couple to talk about.

The first goes back to 15 years ago. Around this time, there had been sites that were doing their own arcade emulation. I believe the site was called 1980stees (it's been a long time, so the name is something else) and they specialized in doing early 80s arcade games. There was Donkey Kong, Frogger, and a couple other games from that era that I played. It was about as close as I could get, not knowing that there were places where you could get the actual arcade ROMs or even get the real PCBs on eBay. They did have some other flash games like one I played a lot that was based on Sonic Advance 2, which was the newest handheld Sonic at the time. I had good enjoyment out of it.

Going to do more 80s, this time called 1980sgames.com. At the time, roughly again 15 years ago, they had access to about every NES game released in America. Even included were some rom hacks of a couple games such as Aladdin. Unfortunately, emulation was rough with Nesticle or Nestopia. Once again, my memory is a little fuzzy. Regardless, the games ran really slow. Try playing through Bionic Commando or Back to the Future on that.

The site also had access to Sega Master System games and included both the American and European releases. It might have been the first time I had every tried out games for it. It's 8-bit Sonic games I definitely tried. Altered Beast and a few others I gave a shot. I remember the emulation being good, but the audio was a few pitches down compared to how it was on a real Master System. As far as that site was, it was okay. If you didn't want to hassle with emulators, it was fine, but it was not something I would have recommended. Now these days, the site's domain is up for sale.

And that wraps up volume two. I do have a bit more emulation stories I'll talk about in the near future. Here is the first volume:

https://sullivanentertainment.blogspot.com/2019/03/game-emulation-stories-volume-1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2