Saturday, August 31, 2019

Ten Years of Game Collecting

Before I begin, I would like to do a quick thanks. This year has been very strong for the blog, which has over ten thousand views and seems likely to reach 15 thousand by the end of the year. Now, let's end August with a quick story.

It wasn't until August of 2009 that I started to get more into older games. While I did enjoy playing PS2 and PSP, I would go back to the Genesis, SNES. Sometimes, the Game Boy Color. One day, I decided go to this local used game store that carried a decent amount of systems and games. And this was before game collecting became a big commodity to many. Please note that unlike most, I actually play my games.

For about 15 dollars I got five games. On the Genesis, I got Joe Montana Football, Evander Holyfield's "Real Deal" Boxing, and Jurassic Park. Later on, I did get complete versions in the box with manuals for the first two games, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of them. Jurassic Park was okay. On the SNES, I was starving for sports games and went with NHL 96. Now these days, I love a lot of the 16-bit NHL games, but this was the first one I played that wasn't the first one on Genesis. A lot of fun and a game to go to sleep to, especially the following spring in 2010.

The last one was for PlayStation and this was before the series became double digit prices. That was the original Crash Bandicoot. I had all the games as a kid, but scratched them badly before starting to care for the game cases and discs when my family got a PS2 in 2003. Now these days, I have all but the second game for that system, and all of them work. At the time, this was the only one I didn't beat and to go through it as a teenager and get 100 percent was very nice. To do something I couldn't do back then, which was one of my very first PlayStation games back in 1997-98. To get it before prices spiked on it, I will cherish my copy.

That wraps up my story. Over the last ten years, I have gotten many systems and games, though I have slowed down a little bit where I'm not constantly buying games 24/7. What were the games that got you into collecting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2