Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Good Boys Review

When I saw the trailer to Good Boys back in April, it seemed like it would was going to be riotously funny. Getting the opportunity to see it, my expectations were a little disappointing, but it was still good and had a lot of funny moments. Considering its producers, it came off to me as a Superbad but for tweens. It isn't, but it has crazy moments.

The film relegates around three kids. Max, Thor and Lucas are boys that have a close friendship. Calling themselves the Beanbag Boys, they deal with being tweens entering sixth grade. Thor has moments of ridicule and glory. Lucas is too honest. Max has a crush on another sixth grader, Brixlee. When a group of kids plan a party, the three are invited. It's a kissing one, so practice is something they want to do. They spy on some neighbors with a drone Max's dad uses, but it gets captured. What ensues is an adventure that takes the tweens through very highs and lows.

This is not a huge gut buster. But, it is one you are going to get a lot of laughs at. It doesn't tread on anything new, but to see it from a tween perspective is a bit fresh compared to using 16 to 18 year olds. Beyond getting the drone, while I don't view it as completely realistic, the ups and downs of the trio can be seen throughout. Some of their situations are stuff I can see others giving up on or getting their hopes up on things. It made me think back a little bit to my time in middle school. Makes me wish I was a little better as a person during that time.

It feels like a tamer R rated film. Not a ton of cursing, though that's not a bad thing. Plenty of graphic stuff in terms of sexual content, and a few obvious drinking scenes. I don't have anything too negative. I felt a little overhyped, but I would give Good Boys a watch in the theater. Solid film. Nice to see a teen comedy go a different route.

Score: 7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2