Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Family Only Plus Stream

From a business point of view, I get it. The new Disney Plus app that comes out in November is focused on non R-rated content. When you look at that and Hulu, they want you to subscribe to both and it gives them more money than ever before. But this is also bad because it shows that Disney is, as always, playing it safe and not taking a chance.

The way I see it, Disney wants total and strict control over everything they own. Whether it's the TV airings, what needs to be censored for films, it's borderline dictator like. Not everyone is going to blindly buy into it. Many will, but without R-rated content, it almost comes off as a waste of money. I like a good family or kids movie every once in a while, but I wouldn't want that to be the only thing on an app. You can't hide your history of adult content. It's like they are afraid of what they made under their Touchstone label and whatever other labels they might have had.

Fox is more than just Ice Age, Home Alone, and a handful of other family friendly franchises. Some of their biggest films are stuff like Predator, Die Hard, Alien, Speed. These examples are R-rated films and many other films they have made that garnered the rating. I have a feeling Disney is going to screw up in handling Fox movies. More than likely, Hulu is that destination. I don't get why they don't just make it all the movies and shows in one app outside of knowing people will double dip. You can have the kids section, family section, and R-rated section. Netflix does that with their streaming. Can't be that hard for Disney to do that.

For now, I am not interested in Disney Plus. I feel it's a bad choice to have only family friendly stuff. I get it, but I would have my concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2