Saturday, June 30, 2018

Is Journalism Safe?

I went for Mass Communications in college and got two degrees during my four years. As I look at yet another shooting, this time at a Capital Gazette building in Annapolis, Maryland, I asked myself the same question when I saw another shooting a few years ago. As for the title of the topic, is journalism safe?

Long story short, Jarrod Ramos killed five people and is now in jail and being charged with first degree murder. More than likely, he will spend the rest of his life behind bars. The stories are pouring about a grudge against the Capital Gazette. Stuff that has landed him in hot water and the paper publishing them leading to a lawsuit. Seems to me that this guy was not there mentally.

The last time a shooting happened that killed journalists was back in 2015 with a WDBJ crew in Virginia. And at that time, I said the same thing regarding whether or not journalism was safe. I'm more inclined to say yes, but I will also say that it's not something to take lightly. You have to be very careful about what you do. Telling the absolute facts and not being one sided can be a lot more helpful than making one side out to be a lot better than the other.

Like any job, there will always be risks. You have to deal with some of the negatives even if the positives are exhilarating. With this being major incident, I would hope journalists are more cautious about what they do, but considering some of the stuff they put in the papers, there's a bit of doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2