Monday, June 4, 2018

Bee A Bitch

In the cable world, you can say mostly anything and not have any issues depending on the network. Some people know they can and moron Samantha Bee got herself bitten in the ass by her insult of Ivanka Trump. There's better of ways of doing political comedy, and it's clear she doesn't and hasn't.

I expect jabs mainly at Presidents and certain politics that cause an incident. Unless specific, I don't think I have ever heard anyone go after a child of the President. Bee went that route and called Ivanka a "feckless cunt" last week on her TBS show and has created a storm of controversy, including losing sponsors. It's been said that she apologized but I don't buy into it.

With this and the Roseanne incident, there's that question of restraint from saying things on television or tweets on Twitter or any social media site. To be honest, I'm expecting something worse to come out of Bee's mouth. There's that gut feeling that she's going to create more controversy. That's why I don't buy into the apology. I don't think she's sorry. I view her as someone who is trying to be very edgy and not even trying to be funny. She's in that same mold as Jon Stewart. They're not funny, but they crave attention. Who even says something that vulgar? And especially to someone like Ivanka? Maybe I'm missing something since I don't really watch the news.

If there's that wonder of political comedy going down the toilet, here's your example. Between this, all the late night shows and Saturday Night Live, when does it start becoming funny again? After Donald Trump stops being president? Only time, ratings, and the 2020 election will tell. Otherwise, people like Bee are going to be ousted one day if they keep creating controversy after controversy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2