Thursday, January 14, 2021

Fan Toxicity: The Pac-Man Nut

You have fans of plenty of games. That's a given. But then you have the fans that take it a little too far. They cling to a franchise. Frustration if it's not a sequel they think is needed. Multiple factors. But this guy I'm going to talk about is very much a complete nut with Pac-Man that it's driven him mentally unstable online. Hence the blog title, The Pac-Man Nut. I will not bring up his name and I do not want to see anyone belittle him because of what I have viewed.

This person has a huge love for Pac-Man. More specifically, the World games. I"ve played the trilogy. The original is really good. Been a long time since I played 2, but I remember it being good. I got 3 on the DS and it's not too bad. Need to play a console version at some point. He wants a fourth World game The thing is, these games did well, but they did not at the same time. Enough to justify getting a sequel. You have all these 3D platformers on the N64, PlayStation 1 and 2, GameCube. Competition. .Banjo-Kazooie only sold a couple million when it released at the peak of the genre. You get people that will be frustrated, but nothing to the level of this person.

This person gets hugely upset and really angry. So much that it bothers him that others like a specific type of gameplay. With Pac-Man, he does not like that others like a variation of the original 1980 release. There's more of a Namco hate with showing extreme displeasure with most franchises of the company. It also goes beyond them as well. It's franchises like Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog. This is not to be mean spirited, but the guy is a lunatic judging by what he posts and retweets.

Supposedly, he is very depressed due to COVID-19 and I'm going to assume a lot of people getting tired of his antics. The way the gaming industry also is, I can see some frustration. I think it has also dawned on him that he's gone too far when he has followers that do the same shtick he does, something that has bothered him. If I was him, I would seek some help and maybe not be around a video game for a month or two. Everybody has their own likes and dislikes, but this isn't something to develop depression. I would be re-evaluating things if I were him and trying to make things better instead of feeling the need to lash out at everyone and creating a toxic environment every time something is brought up regarding Pac-Man or other franchises he cares about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2