Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Virtual Suspension

I've played my share of online games or seen them played the last 10 plus years. Sometimes, you see the frustration mount on a few and maybe yourself. I'd be panicking if I'm Kyle Larson and his PR group and whoever else is involved. Saying the n-word  has caused a lot of damage to his reputation and being with Chip Ganassi Racing. I'm not surprised about NASCAR suspending him indefinitely. Little sensitivity training to help fix him.

But what I am surprised kind of is Ganassi giving him the boot so quickly. Even if he weren't suspended, this would have been an end of the year scenario where the result would have been the same. What I see as a reason for the early boot is the sponsors. McDonald's has been around NASCAR for a long time. When I think of the two, I think Bill Elliott and a little Jamie McMurray. Some of the brands don't want to be associated with Larson, which is very understandable. It happens with specific spokespeople.

Where does Larson go? Good question. Until he is reinstated back in, it will be a tough sell. I could see Penske potentially. Maybe Brad Keselowski's car. Or Hendrick if Jimmie Johnson wants to retire instead of doing a full final year next year if he's not satisfied with ending 2020 without a full season. Ganassi will need to think about who they want. They got plenty of time. And maybe NASCAR should have guidelines for this virtual racing that they have done for the last month.

Things need to be ironed out before another incident happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2