Wednesday, April 1, 2020

First Games Played On A System Volume 1

As it suggests, the first game I played on a system. Very simple. I'll do ones that I've played on the actual hardware.

Atari 2600: Pac-Man. This one was from a few years ago. It was a curious one to try as I've heard so many negative things about it. As a port, it is a bit disappointing. That being said, I don't think it's that horrible. I've played much worse, but there is better versions and even Ms. Pac-Man on the 2600 is better.

Intellivision: Donkey Kong. This was from about 15 or so years ago after finding the system hidden downstairs at home. Playing with those controllers was not ideal, but it could be doable. What wasn't was the poor graphics that looked like it came from a very old computer and audio that failed to impress. The system was hit and miss on arcade ports and this was not a good effort.

NES: Super Mario Bros. 3 (90s) Dr. Mario (2009). Cheating a little bit since my memory is a little fuzzy on playing the NES back in the 90s. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Mario 3 or one of the Mario titles. But Dr. Mario was what I tried when I got an NES for myself in mid-2009. To be able to play some of these titles and to begin it with that was a huge treat. I have a bigger appreciation for this system compared to other Nintendo efforts.

Game Boy: Super Mario Land 2. This was one back in the late 90s when you could still get original Game Boy games. It would be the only one I played for a very long time since Game Boy Color was more relevant around 2000. Between the trilogy, Land 2 is very strong and an indicator of what Game Boy could do in every facet. Not to mention a different gameplay approach that it's a shame Nintendo don't go back to these kind of games that weren't like the Miyamoto efforts.

That's the first volume of first games I played on a system. Hopefully, I'll do more soon. Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2