Monday, March 9, 2020

Thoughts of Yahoo at 25

It never occurred to me that last week marked 25 years since the debut of the site Yahoo. There have been changes over the years that I can see the difference between what it was like in the 2000s and what it is today.

I don't remember much until around 2004 or 2005 when going to the Yahooligans section, which was for kids. There was also the games section. It's where I got to enjoy playing Collapse for the first time. Other first time games include Rocket Mania (underrated flash game), Dynomite, and a few other games. Their pool game was one anyone could get into, one that my own dad got hooked onto back then. And beyond the flash games, it was home to what I used for email. I never used AOL or anything at that time.

There was such a huge focus on trying to get everyone into Yahoo. Appeal for everyone. You don't see that now. They got bought out by Verizon in 2016 and it's a different kind of site. More focus on celebrity stories. A lot more bias when doing politics. Writers who don't know how to make articles, which even in the 2000s wasn't good either. I remember nobody liking the sports guy Chris Chase, who was a horrible sportswriter. But all that aside of him, lots of articles felt like clickbait or had a link to go to the site they pulled a story from. I'd like to see what could happen today because I know they haven't made huge money in a long time. They tried many things and it hasn't helped.

Yahoo isn't what it used to be. The perils of hell considering Verizon wants to dictate what people see. But what website or conglomerate doesn't? Those joys of the 2000s will never be reached again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2