Monday, July 15, 2019

Geek Love Now, Forgettable Later

I can appreciate certain aspects of geek culture. It's nice to see it get appreciated compared to ones that had to suffer 30 years ago or earlier. We have a multitude of comic book related stuff, movies that non-geeks can enjoy. Television that incorporates geeky material. But are they memorable?

I'll say this for certain. A number of stuff we have seen in the last 10 to 12 years will not be remembered fondly. My main aim is the Marvel movies. A lot of people will not look at them fondly in 15 to 20 years. What I attribute it to is that they are making so many every year that a problem many look at is that they are all the same. Sure, there are a couple things different in each one, but it doesn't mean anything. They are low grade brain dead popcorn flicks that are enjoyed now, but will not hold up in 20 years compared to other comic book movies like 1989 Batman, the Raimi Spider-Man movies.

Certainly, there is love for The Walking Dead. I tired its first season and hated it. But I know people that are hardcore into it. But I do see the problem of it overstaying its welcome. I'm not sure how much it follows the comics, but the losing of important characters and being on for eight or nine seasons has hurt them a lot more than they realize. I'm no expert, but a zombie show can only take you so far.

There's other stuff. Nobody will remember The Big Bang Theory in 20 years. Anime shows are still underground to non-geeks, but it's not something to be afraid of.  Gaming has been bigger with each passing year. But I think the love affair of geek culture will die off soon and  still be appreciated, but not in that hardcore sense. I would love to see what the 2020s bring and whether it will be different compared to this last decade of geek culture.

Overall, the love will still be there. But holding up in certain aspects, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2