Thursday, February 21, 2019

Google and Losing a Plus

Come April, another feature of Google will be shutting off for good. Throughout the years, they have been hungry for creating competition and trying to be on par with other sites. With Google+, it was their attempt at Facebook. At over seven years, it was one of their more lengthier products.

As far as what I can tell, there are a lot of products that are still being used to this day. One of the only things that they got rid of, at least judging by it, was Google Video. That came out in January 2005, not too long before YouTube was founded. I remember using it quite a bit because there was a number of video game videos and some TV shows. There was a few points where my dad even used that feature and watched a few stand up specials, mainly Dave Chappelle. I'm surprised that it stayed for that long until 2012, roughly six years after Google bought YouTube.

Ultimately, I guess Google didn't see much progress in trying to be a third pillar. Even with all the controversy, Facebook will still be used. Twitter is still a viable platform, especially with all the celebrities. For them to make Plus disappear that quick is surprising. I'm curious to see how much this will affect this blog. Since mid 2017, I have used it to do updates on blogs and all that. Looks like I'll have to find other methods, such as Tumblr or whatever I could link my stuff to.

A shame, but if it didn't have the numbers, then it was obvious Google had a failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2