Thursday, September 10, 2020

PlayStation at 25

Gaming has gone many directions. A lot of it can be influenced by how PlayStation entered into the industry. It celebrated 25 years in December, but the North American market celebrates with its launch back on September 9, 1995. I'll speak my thoughts, quick history, and one or two other things.

Sony got into gaming in the late 80s, publishing titles for the NES and eventually other Nintendo and Sega systems. They partnered with Nintendo to make an SNES CD add-on, but the house of Mario backed out and worked with Philips. Whatever the case, Sony worked on making their own system and was able to do two things. It had huge support like a Nintendo system, and it marketed like a Sega system. More adult than Sega, but there were games for everyone. Hit at the right time with its 32-bit hardware and the CD being the future for game consoles.

My first experience was back around Christmas 1997. It was a family system and almost everyone in my family got into it. NASCAR, NFL GameDay, and Crash Bandicoot were our initial titles. Eventually, Tomb Raider games, Blasto, Spyro the Dragon, Medal of Honor, Driver, several demo discs. That's just scratching the surface When it was around, I played it for a good six years until getting a PS2. Unfortunately, my younger brother and myself scratched a lot of the original discs we had and the original hardware had issues. 

Since 2009, I have gotten almost all the titles I have played back and some extras from games I never heard of or rented when I was younger. Keeping the discs in their cases. For the last decade I have appreciated PlayStation even more and it's one of the few systems I'll go back to. The graphical output doesn't bother me too much. It comes down to controls and whether the difficulty is adequate or not. Some of my favorites include the Crash Bandicoot franchise, the Syphon Filter trilogy, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, the Medal of Honor games, Doom, Metal Gear Solid, Driver, the early NFL GameDay games. Those are a small sample of what I go back to. The controller is fantastic, especially the analog version. Memory cards could have stored more files, but that's a nitpick.

Do you have any favorite memories of the original PlayStation? Say your thoughts about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2