Wednesday, May 23, 2018

R-Rated Muppets

There aren't too any movies that pique my interest this summer. Despite my thoughts on the original being overrated, The Incredibles 2 is something that interests me. Action Point is one I have had my sights on for a few months. However, I just discovered a trailer for Happy Time Murders, a Muppet type film that has caught my eye in the last 24 hours, but has me a little concerned.

Most people would think Muppets (or puppets for that matter) as being mainly for kids. The trailer, which was uploaded a few days ago, goes for stuff that no kid should see, hence the title of this blog. So, someone is murdering every single puppet of a TV show from 30 plus years ago, it's up to a puppet and Melissa McCarthy to stop the carnage. It goes completely overboard with the R-rated material right from the get go. Not to mention this is directed by Brian Henson, the son of the late Jim Henson.

I don't know about this. It almost comes off as a gimmick film despite the complete involvement of the Henson brand. Maybe almost taboo. The only other film I can think of is the Trey Parker and Matt Stone war comedy, Team America. That one did okay in 2004, but that was fully puppets. I'm trying to wrap my head around this, but it's so mind boggling. This either has the potential to do either very well or be a complete bomb.

I can't see critics liking this. It seems too raunchy, even though I don't mind some raunchy material in an R-rated comedy. Still, this comes out this August, so I would hope it's more than just what the trailer showed. At the very least, a decent script that doesn't go overboard with using its R-rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2