Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Dog Review

When I saw the trailer for Dog not too long ago, it seemed like it would have been a light hearted film with some serious moments. The story at face value seems like something I'd see in other movies and shows. What I saw was more of a serious film with a couple of lighter moments. It's not a great film, but I wouldn't call it anywhere bad.

Channing Tatum co-directed the film and plays Briggs, an army guy who has been on duty a number of times. He's had health problems, and he still wants to continue his service. That chance could happen if accomplishes a task. One of the members of his unit is dead and he has to take their unit's dog to the funeral. Unfortunately, the dog, Lulu, has issues itself and is rough. Cue a road trip where both Briggs and Lulu struggle with being in the real world to get to the funeral and the bond that can happen.

I think we take for granted or ignore the mental problems associated with military vets and military canines. That's kind of what I see with Dog. While there are no battle scenes, you notice scars on Briggs in some scenes and Lulu showing the same kind of aggression as if they were still in a war zone. How people act around them, thumbing their nose at them. That's the main takeaway I have with the film.

The lighting and cinematography is done well. Thomas Newman's score goes for the heart of that feeling that nothing can go right until it comes at the right moment. It has a few sappy songs to piece together some of the tender moments. Maybe it's just me, but the movie didn't resonate with me as much as I would have thought. I've been around dogs my whole life and I didn't get the same vibe like I did with the trailer. Still, I think there's a good message and also the strong bond between a human and their dog. It may not have resonated with me, but it might for you. I would still give it a chance in the theater. Bump it up a point or two if you think it's better. A lot of military people should watch it as should the biggest dog lovers. This could make the toughest war veteran cry.

Score: 6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2