Tuesday, June 15, 2021

YouTube Channels I Watch: My Retro Life

You don't get many channels on YouTube that favor many system and try not to pick sides. It is a vibe I get when looking at the My Retro Life channel. This is a channel that's been around for a couple years, but the man involved had a channel before this one, so I'll try my best to explain based on viewing experience. Let's go back to roughly 2013.

I don't know how I stumbled upon Tyler Esposito's YouTube channel, but the first video I saw of his was back around 2013-14 and it was a Christmas video with the amount of Sega stuff he got in the 90s. The age difference isn't huge, but I can relate to him to some capacity growing up on NES and Sega Genesis. Unlike myself and others, Esposito has loads upon loads of video footage of playing various games courtesy of his late father. For the next few years, I was a regular watcher and liked his takes on a number of titles. When he closed his channel in 2018, that surprised me.

Esposito did open up in videos he has made over the last year about personal things and needing a clean slate to be a better person and family man. That resulted in selling over a thousand games and slowly building a new one of his own for him and his young daughter. He did return and was part of the Pixel Game Squad channel. Some of his My Retro Life stuff did come back and new ones to boot. A new channel last and it has picked up at points. 

The footage of what was shot does help him out. It brings forth a story to each one and what it was like to have a gaming family from the Espositos' perspective. Arcades in one episode. Getting into obscure stuff such as the Atari Jaguar. Epcot at Disney World and the Innoventions and playing games that had yet to release. That is what has hooked me into watching the videos Tyler has uploaded. And he isn't pretentious or trying to create a phony persona. Film is another passion and you can see that in creating the narrative for the episodes or side videos. 

My only fear is if he deletes the channel. Outside of that, it's a YouTube channel that isn't that extreme for a gaming channel. Here's to more videos and content that can be enjoyed by many. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Geeks and Jocks: Bonus Episode 7

 Bonus episode https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ryan-sullivan1gaj/episodes/Bonus-Episode-7-e27h1a2